Saturday, June 7, 2014

“Say. Are you black?”

In 1992 Camp Lejeune, North Carolina was crammed with desert tan vehicles which had just come back to the U.S. from Operation Desert Storm, the first invasion of Iraq.  Outside our Seabee Camp Cobra it seemed every pine tree had something under it.  Our unit was there for annual training for duty called TACON-92.  I’d transferred from the Marine Corps Reserve Support Center (MCSRC) in Overland Park, Kansas where cutbacks had terminated my billet.  It was my first summer camp with the Bees.

When you transfer between services, you end up taking pot luck.  First, I lost a rank.  Next, I ended up in Supply doing heavy lifting, but I’m not complaining because the move saved my career.  Without the help of Navy forklifts my job would have been impossible because Seabee construction boxes are heavy.  So there in a sand pit with the trucks is where you found me.  I marveled at the huge pine cones the size of footballs scattered about the area.

Of course, Camp Lejeune is big and we had many visitors. I remember clusters Jeep Cherokees, Marine Corps and Navy observers, umpires, and gaggles of officers who you’d never see normally.  Women had just been integrated in the Bees and were in our ranks as well as being among the officers who stopped by on business.  Curious civilians were there too.

All this activity and variety of people did not escape me because I have a natural inclination towards observation.  Call it a peculiarity.  When I was with MCRSC part of my duties was to call mobilization stations in the West.  Once, I talked to an officer whose last name was Kesselring.  I couldn’t help asking, “Say.  Are you related to Albert Kesselring, the German commander of the Afrika Korps?”  She was his niece.  Another time at formation and roll call with the Bees, someone called out “Petty Office Earhart”.  Afterwards, I couldn’t help asking, “Say.  Are you related to Amelia Earhart?”  He was a cousin.

There was this tall black stranger who approached our sand pit to watch the beginnings of our encampment.  He was there suddenly like the mountain man above the gorge in Deliverance.  He was probably 6 ft. 6” at least, but his features were different.  He looked black to me, but was he?  There was something odd about him.  I had to ask, “Say. Are you black?”  In a matter of fact way he replied that he was Sioux and a grandson of (the) Red Cloud.  I don’t remember his first name, but his last name was Bear and he was a retired Marine living on the base.  If you want to know what he looked like, he looked like the Red Cloud in the U.S. postage stamp.  You never know until you ask.