Monday, June 16, 2014

1960 Ford Falcon

This is a story of inflation and not necessarily of someone’s first car.  Remember those guys in high school who knew the details of every car that was ever made.  They could quote them all and what happened to them?  Perhaps they went on to be mechanics; at least, they would have made more money than me.  That’s the point.  After college I had $425 to my name going into the labor market with no job.  I asked my mom if I could have a car and she said, “Fine, go out and buy one” and that was that. 

After getting a job at Menorah Medical Center in Kansas City in 1971, I remember walking up to 39th and Main and catching the bus to 39th and Troost for the commute to Menorah.  It gets tiring after a while, but it had to be done to save for the car.  Eventually, I followed up on car leads that I found the Kansas City Star.  The first took me to a junk yard where the old man said “It runs good.” despite the fact that the engine was gushing oil like an Oklahoma oil rig.  My next lead was from Johnson County, Kansas where the rich folks live.  A father was upgrading his son’s car and selling his old 1960 white Ford Falcon for $325.  It wasn’t much to look at and the girls would laugh, but it would do the job.

In four years I had learned a lot about ownership especially how costs go up.  Now cars cost as much as houses used to.  That’s why I’ve learned to be cautious, fix what needs to be fixed, buy them new from now on, and drive them into the ground at around 186,000 miles.  I’ve included a record of my Falcon expenses because it shows how much things have changed.  For example, I used to get gas at 23 cents a gallon during the “gas wars” at the Hudson station at 38th & Main. Monthly insurance was $25.20. 

My Falcon met its demise came when I was in USMC boot camp in San Diego.  Mom wrote me that the local thieves were ripping it off in the drive way for parts.  I gave her Power of Attorney and that was that.  I still have fond memories of that old 1960 Ford Falcon.It was simple, mechanically sound, and easily maintained.  Of the four vehicles I’ve owned, three out of four have been Fords.