Thursday, June 26, 2014

Unexpected JFK Magazine Trove

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.  I ran into my treasure the other day as I was rummaging through the library’s surplus book room.  It’s not my first time; I’ve been doing it for decades searching for the good stuff of American history.  It’s like antique hunting – very addicting.  I noticed the library has upped its price on most donated books and magazines to 25 cents and in some cases even to $1.  Apparently the library doesn’t value historical research material.  I believe the JFK assassination warrants mandatory course study in every college.

There was a time when I could research the reference areas of the libraries in Kansas City with no problem.  (Mid-Continent North in Independence, Mo., across from the Truman Presidential Library was my favorite.)  Anyone had free access to comb the bound magazines of their choice. You can’t do that anymore because people started stealing them.  You have to ask the librarian what copies you want to see and he’ll bring them to you – a ridiculous situation.  How do I know which ones if I’ve never seen them?  I miss the joy of accidental discovery in public libraries.

All too often I’ve found stacks of National Geographic Magazines whose only function in their used condition is as ship ballast or waiting room reading material.  (People like the pictures especially if you’re in a dentist’s office.  There, people are too terrified to read.) This find really surprised me because the stack of JFK magazines was for sale, so I bought it for the hefty price of $2.50.  By now you know I’m a Kennedy conspiracy believer:

·         Life, July 25, 1960 “The Demonstration for Jack Kennedy”
·         Saturday Evening Post, Oct. 26, 1963 “How Jackie Kennedy Decorated …”
·         Look, December 31, 1963 with “In Memory of John F. Kennedy” patch
·         Look, Jan. 28, 1964 “Valliant is the Word for Jacqueline”
·         Life, Oct. 2, 1964, “The Warren Report” with 8 Zapruder frames
·         Life, July 16, 1965 “A Thousand Days”  “Start of A Series”
·         Life, Nov. 5, 1965 “A Thousand days” Part 4, Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
·         Look, Feb. 7, 1967 “The Day JFK Died”
·         Look, Feb. 21, 1967 “Flight from Dallas”
·         Life, Nov. 24, 1967 “Last Seconds of the Motorcade”


From time to time I’ll be commenting on these contemporary primary sources.  As I casually glanced at some of the magazines, I noticed pictures I’ve never seen in popular JFK assassination material.  Some clever disinformation techniques were just beginning to be implemented after the Warren Commission Report and I’ll point them out.  I was also surprised how militant the Civil Rights Platform was in 1960 at Democratic National Convention.  (We are led to believe Kennedy’s position was one of conservative reluctance.)  Documents that contain insights about America’s most notorious coup d’état are worthy of preservation and study.  On the other hand, Warren Commission supporters probably would sell them for 25 cents a copy.