Monday, April 14, 2014

Sunday with President Ford

Who doesn't want to go to Washington, D.C. especially in April when the cherry trees around the Tidal Basin are in bloom?  It’s the nation’s capital, packed with granite and marble memorials and statues honoring our heritage and past heroes.  When I went in 1975 the Mall, the area between Capitol Hill and the Lincoln Memorial, was undergoing a total revamp.  I’d already seen the Archives, National Museum, and the Washington Monument at the top.  My plans for Gettysburg were dashed by a bus strike and my failure to qualify for a credit card.  The man at the car rental place said cash wasn't enough. He mentioned a priest who’d paid in cash and skipped out with the car.

The people of Washington were considerate and nice to me even though I was just from the hustings or fly-over area that they’d never visit themselves.  I remember the nice black lady with the short dress on the corner calling me slim: “Slim, hey slim!”  Then there was the Soul Brother on Fourteen Street who directed me to the back of the bus: “Hey white boy, white boy - Back of the bus!”  What a nice fellow, telling me where the empty seats were.  Then there was the seven foot stranger in the white trench coat outside St. John’s Church on Sunday.  He’s in the picture.

By the time I’d met him, I was on my way out of town towards National Airport shouldering my trusty K-Mart back pack.  I’m tall, but this guy was a giant especially in the crowd that had gathered outside the church.  I had no idea what was going on and I asked him.  He replied, “President Ford is coming out of church.”  There was a collective murmur and President Ford, my soon to be Commander in Chief, did come out with Betty and Susan out front.  It was nice for the tall fellow to have told me about the event because I would have skipped the crowd and gone directly for the subway and airport.  He didn’t seem to be much interested; he kept looking at the crowd.  Maybe he’d seen a President before.  At the time I’d only seen Harry Truman.  I took three pictures with my Instamatic and that was that.

I’ll never forget my trip to Washington even though it was unseasonably cold.  Lafayette Park was beautiful with new spring plantings and there weren't any trucker demonstrators around the White House like there were a few days before.  (I guess demonstrators rest on Sundays.)  Everything seemed more fresh and simple in those days and even the White House was free of fortifications and Secret Service men with shoulder anti-aircraft missiles.  Everyone I met was in his own little world and I in mine.  Soul Brother was quite a character.  He even offered to buy my Eisenhower jacket for a nickel, but perhaps I’ll remember the lady on the corner the most.  Yes, I was slim in those days and I had hair.