Monday, April 28, 2014

House of Immigrants Växjö, Sweden


So many things have changed.  The House of Immigrants is said to have closed.  For many years it was the destination for 10,000 Americans who came to Växjö to research their Swedish ancestry.  It is set among old structures of yesteryear like windmills and a cabin with a sod roof and levered pole which was designed to seal the chimney top.  Many American remember the move, The Imigrants with Liv Uhlman in the early 1970s depicting the Swedish migration to America and Minnesota.  (I can still remember the scene in the room and the ticking of the clock as Liv bemoans the passage of time.)   I saw one lady sobbing in the research room when I was there.  It’s hard not to get misty in a place like that.


There was a terrific park near the lake at Växjö with an all purpose amphitheater and zoo.  The curved amphitheater appears to be gone now, but the city retains its recreational attraction with a big sports center, tennis courts, and many foot and bicycle paths.  It’s an area perfect for school outings on sunny days in September before the winter sets in.  When I was there the Swedes were apparently a little confused where the zoo began and ended because I noticed a bear not too far from me which could easily step over a two foot hedge for a quick meal.  There was no chain or barbed wire and I didn’t like the idea of a bear greeting me on such an intimate level. 
 
Växjö’s two steepled cathedral is in the photo near the lake not far from the House of Immigrants.  Sooner or later along the shore line I began to think of my situation as tourists often do.  For someone in my station in life, it was truly a wonderful experience, something I cherish in my memories among Swedes in a picturesque little city with the right proportions of nature and modernism.   As promised, I will post shortly some pictures of Scandinavian houses and buildings that illustrate their sense of taste and high standard of living.