Monday, November 3, 2014

JD Manure Spreader L&M: Done


The final tab for the John Deere Manure Spreader wasn’t that much.  I paid $900 for it.  Since it was only about five miles away, the freight (tow truck) was $75.  I’ve seen cross-country freight on some other farm machines costing $1000 or more.  Miscellaneous parts and supplies totaled $179.07 with $89.35 going for paint.  Tires were surprisingly expensive at $440.00 for the pair.   So the total bill without labor ran $1594.07.  I would have finished the job quicker if it was done indoors, but getting it into the garage would have been difficult and the light and fresh air from being outdoors was more suitable.  However, the rain and heat slowed the job down.

The elusive John Deere decal remains elusive.  I’ve tried the Internet: eBay, Amazon, and assorted farm supply outfits with the same results.  The dealership here doesn’t know.  It’s all because I want to do it right.  Notice the deer is a 4-legged one.  The newer John Deere decals aren’t.  The background is white with a pin stripe around the modified rectangle.  I suspect this decal represents a particular year of the spreader’s manufacture - the early or middle 1950s.  It’s another mystery like what “L&M” stands for.  (Notice the aluminum ID plate on the low front) Depending on the site, the Internet says tractor pulled or horse drawn.  Another says it’s a two wheeled or four wheeled spreader.  I just want it to look cool and function and match my tractor.

I wouldn’t rate my restoration as a 9 or 10 with a 10 being metaphysical perfection.  Professionals would have air blasted and power sprayed it from the start.  They would have stripped it down to the nuts, bolts, sprocket, and gear level.  Still, I think I did a reasonably good job and I already have an offer on it because there is a resurgence of interest in old machinery here.  No way; I’d like to see it in action.  My test runs prove it’s mechanically sound.  All I need now is a red road triangle and – well, you know.  For informational purposes I’m posting a You Tube link showing how simple these old John Deere spreaders were and they work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ7cVeNjgAo