Friday, January 10, 2014

Hunker Down Time

This is one winter that makes me appreciative of every bit of sun there is.  Even this far south in the Ozarks the snow and ice seem relentless.  We're not used to this.  When the clipper came through the other day, the north wind made the snow drifts look like long white tubes and the cattle with their heads down ran before the onslaught towards the timber.  I took down the gates behind the barn and garage so that the calves could take shelter against the deadly wind and extreme temperatures, but their mothers had already forced their way into the wind break behind the garage.  Cows are protective of their young, but I was surprised by their intelligence and instinct in order to preserve their young. 

I know it sounds funny, but the water froze in my hot water tank a couple of days ago.  I couldn’t figure it out, but I did detect the mushy sound of water and ice coming from the tank.  Outside, the pump house is well insulated and is built over the old rock well which brings to the top warm air from the bottom forming a kind of natural heater.  The indoor pipes seemed intact, but to find any break, the pipes would have to thaw and that could have taken several days.  Fortunately, I noticed an unused vent with a flapper the width of a baseball dangling from it.  It must have been installed to anticipate upgrades to the HVAC system.  I was greatly relieved the next morning to see the rushing water coming from the faucet.  I still have vivid memories of how in 1996 in Kansas City when it reached -20 degrees, the old galvanized pipe in my mom’s old house burst on two different occasions in the bathroom above the kitchen causing thousands of dollars in damage and flooding the basement.

In the country the safety net begins at the blacktop (road).  Serious farmers have the big high horse power 4-wheel-drive tractors that look like tanks moving through the snow at night to feed the cattle or pull out someone’s pick-up that got stuck.  Macho men enjoy these tests of power and endurance.  They can’t wait to test their monster equipment in adverse conditions.  For me, I use common sense and do not tempt fate because there are times when events are just too big to deal with.