Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Goodbye to Misery

I confess, Misery with Kathy Bates is one of my favorite movies.  Oddly, it’s about a psycho like Norman Bates in Psycho who kills people who’ve ended up at his/her residence.  In this case, it’s Paul Sheldon, the writer of her favorite fiction character.  After rescuing him, she forces him to redo his latest manuscript which was found with him at the scene of his snowy car wreck.  He’s from the old school of writing and I enjoy watching him pounding away on her old antique typewriter and wondered if that’s the way he normally wrote.  Despite being a captive and being in mortal danger, he was picky; he demands she go to town to get him some smudge-proof paper.  I suspect the movie is set in a time when cell phones and computers were not invented because I would have demanded at least a Hp Pavilion with Windows 7 as well.

If Hollywood wants to depict writers chiseling away like they used to, that’s their business.  In the real world, that style went the way of the dinosaur.  I’ve been in several writers groups where most still write with pen and pencil on a yellow steno pad.  They’re hopelessly and needlessly lost and I feel for them – not that I’m special, but it’s a radically different world from the time when penciling in something and pounding away with an old Royal typewriter sufficed.  Those were terrible days: faded ribbon, White Out, and worn out pencil erasers.  Even if you write just for yourself, you should have the basics: cell phone, credit card, a stable e-mail address and computer knowledge. 

I was fortunate enough to learn word processing in the Marine Corps and working for the State of Missouri - in other words - at work.  In my last job, the boss gave us free reign and not only did we learn word processing, but other important applications as well like the Internet (if you call that an application).  The important thing to remember is just do it.  Libraries offer courses in being computer literate and I admit I’m still learning: transferring cover and content image from flash drives, PDF, jpeg, attachments, images in e-mail text when they’re not attachments.  You’ll need the know-how if you’re serious about writing and publishing.  Think of it like this; if you were Paul and had a new set of legs, you’d be the one in control.