Monday, November 18, 2013

Crossing Over to Sweden


I stayed with the other tourists except for the time when the ship neared Gothenburg harbor after a three hour trip.  I’m a sucker for duty free bitter sweet chocolate and pound cake after my five week back packing experience in 1972 – especially after going hungry in France.  On deck I was wearing my poncho and a utility cover because it was raining.  I was listening at the screws turning and waiting for the fog to lift in order to get my first glimpse of Sweden.  As we passed the rocky shoals to the starboard and into the harbor, I had another rare attack of déjà vu, this time it was really strong; like I'd been there before at this exact spot.  About the same time there occurred an opening in the clouds and I beheld a double rainbow which arched over the ship from port to starboard.  It was a spiritual moment and more than just someone coming home after many years.
 
I quickly found a room with some other tourists who were also booking and I immediately set out for the local shopping center.  Before long, an English bum approached me to get a handout.  Without me saying a word he had identified me as American and I never figured out how he did it.  Perhaps it was the style of my glasses or maybe I just looked American.  When strangers start acting chummy, always check your wallet.

 
Tourists quickly notice the explicitness of the Swedish advertising media at the newsstands.  Nudity is common and no discretion is given to women's products in context, even on giant outdoor billboards.  The stores sell parts of cattle that would make Americans blush and become queasy.  There was a large supermarket (I think it was called Tasco) with long rows of refrigerated meats prominently displayed.  I soon discovered whatever is under-the-counter here in the United States, it’s over-the-counter there: mountain oysters, brains, etc.  I uncomfortably remember one lady in particular who was gingerly examining a bull’s private parts like it was Sunday night’s roast.

I didn't think too much of Gothenburg because it was too industrial for me, but in fairness I wasn’t planning a long stay in Sweden at this point because Norway was my next stop in my circular route, besides, I would eventually end up back in Sweden after Norway.