Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Valley Star Publishing Logo

Another hurdle in the option to self-publish Journal of the Silent Majority is finished.  My Valley Star Publishing LLC needed a logo so I chose one dear to my heart and it related to an old Ozark school, Valley Star, founded in 1897.  My father went there in his youth with my Cherry aunts and uncles.  As a toddler Dad took me there one time when he was hired to do maintenance on the old building.  Believe it or not, it has been relocated and rehabbed at Cloud Nine Ranch west of West Plains, Mo.
 
LJS Graphics in Kansas City did a good job and tasking them to produce the logo was just another step in what many authors have to do to get their works published.  I’m finding out that the more I do myself or have done, the less dependency I have on the antiquated traditional publishing process. 
 
I wrote about it in a previous post, but I’ll expand on my thinking about the obstacles of publishing which new dissenting authors face.  Literary agents and traditional book publishers probably would not be receptive to my history revealing uncomfortable truths.  Perhaps 80% of literary agents list their genres as gay/lesbian, women’s issues/feminist, multicultural, ethnic, or gender related.  It would be counterproductive for them to jeopardize their client relationship with authors who hold different political views.  What would their comrades think? Traditional book publishing appears to be no different.  A quick glance at Writer’s Market suggests that serious thinking men are as rare as chicken’s teeth: Monster Trucks, Turkey Hunting, Playboy, Sports, and Hot Rods. One would get the impression that half the population does not read or think.  They are wrong.
 
It is sufficient to say I won’t rule out the traditional avenue for publishing Journal of the Silent Majority, but I’m comforted in what René Descartes said in Discourse on Method:  “. . . when it is beyond our power to discern the opinions which carry most truth, we should follow the most probable . . . .”  Self-publishing appear to be more probable every day.
 
The question of biased editing also rears its ugly head.  I ran into that in my second edit attempt:  “That surely didn’t happen.”  “You can’t say that.”  “You’re a racist if you say that or use that word.” There’s the problem in a nut shell for revisionist historians in our particular age. It’s the velvet hammer – conform to our way of thinking or don’t get published.  Descartes alluded to a related predicament: “. . . there is very often less perfection in works composed of several portions, and carried out by the hands of various masters, than in those on which one individual alone has worked.”  The compromises after editing sometimes causes the author to give up, but I’m comforted by the admonition of philosopher Larry the Cable Guy; “Get’er Done!”