Friday, September 20, 2013

The Days Before My Longest Day

Like Lt. Dan’s ancestors the Cherrys have served in nearly every war in American history: the Revolutionary War, War of 1812 at New Orleans, the Civil War, World War II, Vietnam, and Desert Storm.  The only exception was World War I.  Unlike Lt. Dan’s story, no one got killed, but that’s not the only reason why I joined the Marine Corps.  It was to be a calculated economic risk and an adventure not a job and at 26 I was running out of time.
 
That awful job I had in Kansas City was a dead ender; bad boss, no chance for advancement or improvement, and boring.  When I joined up in 1975 I was making the princely sum of $3.85 an hour in Materials Management with no chance of overtime, but the work was steady, had good benefits, and was first shift.  I worked on the theory of joining as a reserve with the possibility of transferring to another department with higher pay when I completed basic and MOS training.  I knew someone in Building Maintenance who had already joined the Green Berets at the ripe old age of 33 and he made it.
 
I’d been thinking about enlisting since late fall 1974.  My first choice of service was the Navy as a Naval Flight Officer, but after thorough eye tests I was rejected.  My second choice was joining the Marines as an officer, but the same results came back.  I was told somewhere along the way that entering Marine Corps officers don’t wear glasses, so I enlisted.  If there was Lasik surgery in those days, I would have been an officer.
 
AFEES, the Armed Forces Examination and Examination Service at Kansas City’s Union Station, had the best color brochures and the Marines had those dress blues.  I knew someone from college who said they were the reason why he joined.  Perhaps I exaggerate, but I did see the recruiter at AFEES and he suggested I sign up, of course, and take the entrance tests there.  I could visit my future duty station, Hq. Co. 24th Marines, for an interview with the regimental commander until the test results came back.
 
Induction took about a week because of all those tests and I recall at least three separate oath takings.  “Now, are you sure you want to do this?” There was a big bunch of Hippies wearing high heels who went to the Army and a smaller group that went to the Air Force and Navy.  The remaining five or so of us went to the Marines.  I finally passed the eye test.  I remember the sound chamber which reminded me of the gas chamber in the pen at Jefferson City.  My personal opinion was that it was also a test for claustrophobia.  The red light exam was for Navy recruits only.  Walking like a duck eliminated a few people because they didn’t have basic leg strength.  When 50 of us lined up for the hernia test the doctor said, “You may think I enjoy this, but I assure you, I don’t!”
 
The written tests were designed not for intellectual ability, but to discover a recruit’s vocational aptitude.  The funny thing is that I was given the same tests again at MCRD, San Diego.  After about a week and passing all the tests and with papers in hand I joined several other inductees at the minivan parked outside AFEES for the trip to the airport.  It was the beginning of a long story familiar to millions of young Americans, but their stories are unknown because they seldom write about them.