Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Danish Trains (DSB) and Bridges


My Scandinavian posts are done from memory, photos, and an assortment of brochures and maps that I saved over the years.  Once in a while I have to look at a guide book to get the correct spelling of something because their languages are so difficult and I, like most American tourists, appreciate the fact that English is taught in their schools.  Employing Google Maps helps because things change, especially, Danish travel.  Where did all the bridges come from?

The first bridge I should have remembered traveling west is the Storebӕlt or Great Belt Bridge between Zealand and Fyn (Kosǿr and Nyborg), the middle island of Denmark.  The next would have been the Little Belt Bridge between Fyn and Jutland.  I don’t recall any of them. The monster Öresund Bridge between Malmö and Copenhagen had not been built.  Apparently, cars and trucks travel on dedicated bridges in Denmark. Are there new tunnels like the Chunnel? Were tracks laid on the new bridges perhaps on a second level?  Much to my disappointment, Danish ferries like the Scandinavian Ferry Lines and Viking Line seem to have disappeared.


With the construction of the new bridges distances become shorter in terms of time, but I believe many people, especially tourists, miss the leisurely pace and the enjoyment of meeting the locals.  Depending on the destination, I remember DSB would unhook passenger cars at the island ports to be ferried across to Zealand, Fyn, and Jutland, the bigger islands that comprise Denmark. 
 
In 1977 I welcomed the slow pace of the process compared with my first trip abroad: uncoupling and watching the mechanics of it all and I enjoyed meeting tourists like the Mid-West school teacher taking her last trip to the Old Country or the excited Danish school children on a day trip. 
 
I also had time for my favorite routine, loading up on duty-free food like pound cake or bittersweet chocolate.  There was plenty of time before I arrived in Odense to figure out how my new Minolta 35mm worked – no Instamatic camera this time.