Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Ray Cherry Show: Led Zeppelin

During a remarkable period in American history, 1992-2000, a reform frenzy gripped America when Ross Perot created United We Stand America and the revolutionary Reform Party.  According to one poll he’d attained enough electoral votes to win the Presidency.  The Silent Majority was sick of the warlocks of the Democrat Party and the cannibals of the Republican Party; Democrats chased the Devil and Republicans chased cheap labor.  Although we failed nationally, the momentum of reform continued in many states.  In Missouri I remained a not-so-silent part of that effort when I created the Reform Times Radio Show at KCXL in 2004.  My goal was to re-establish the Reform Party in Missouri by aiding Reform activists in Missouri and Kansas.  My primary co-host was Dawn Bly, a talented and serious Congressional candidate on the Kansas side.  Dennis Carriger, a pipe fitter friend of mine, was my Missouri backup.
 
The Ray Cherry Show succeeded Reform Times in 2005, an odd year, when political activity almost vanishes except for efforts to enlist Missouri committeemen with the help of Dennis.  He is seen here in front of the police station in Independence, Mo. on Noland Road.  Corner demonstrations were a cheap and effective way to advertise the Reform Party.  (As a Third Party we didn’t have access to the Media.)  I digress, but I make no apologies for changing the broadcasts to storytelling with an historical bent (some ugly) which included my memories of the Kansas City race riot of 1968.  I didn’t know it at the time but a seed had been planted.

What does all that have to do with Led Zepplin?  If Russians are passionate about their poetry, American Baby Boomers feel the same way about their Rock & Roll.  It’s a part of our collective history that I believe should not be taught with words only.  You Tube has become a valuable asset in illustrating a history of America most kids would never want to just read. In putting my stories together I was fortunate to illustrate them with songs from the radio station’s music subscription service.  Whole Lotta Love had it all: sex, drugs, and Rock & Roll.  From such stories and more Journal of the Silent Majority was born. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLk7b6g59x4