Monday, December 22, 2014

My First Landing

When morning came we were still off the coast of California in a Navy amphibious ship waiting for the next day’s task force to form up.  It’s the kind of ship that partially sinks at the stern in order to flood the well deck for the launching of Amtraks.  Our field packs were staged with a gear guard away from the helicopters in the photo.  A Cobra and Sea Stallion are parked near sailors who are milling about smartly.  Most of my time was spent exploring the ship or sleeping in rope coils.  I was too tall to sleep in those sardine-can troop racks.  At night I slept on a sick bay’s operating table with my feet hanging over its edge.  Not all is peaceful.  General Quarters was called one time and the order was given to “dog the hatches.”  That means locking the hatches in case of sinking situations.  It was a little claustrophobic.
 
Below deck I found an open hatch with a ladder a few feet above the water where the “Squids” (sailors) were fishing for the sharks that were circling.  In the meantime I counted nine ships that joined us including several destroyers, two cruisers, and an oiler.  The next day the Amtracks were launched and I was assigned to haul the company’s safe aboard one of many Chinooks that circled at steep angles before heading inland.  Staring almost straight down at the ocean with only a safety belt holding me was a first, but I enjoyed it.  Trucks and jeeps followed the first wave.  The photo shows how dusty and dry Camp Pendleton is during the summer.  Some of these vehicles were swamped and I know one fellow who floated in on his sea bag.  An L.A. TV news crew interviewed me and Private Bercera, but they quickly turned off the camera when we said we enjoyed being in the Marine Corps.

Since the buildup and landing was a MAB or Marine Amphibious Brigade exercise, setting up the tents for the command post for Headquarters Co. 24th Marines (Regiment) was a priority.  It was the first among many for me that lasted many more years, but I didn’t know it at the time that I was to make a career out of the Marine Corps and Navy Reserves.  The camp’s site overlooks the Pacific Ocean about 9:00 AM when the fog begins to lift.  In the photo are many of the Marines who I began my career with:  Sgt. Peak, on the truck; Sgt. Williams and Private Becerra near the tent and poles; Msgt. Vance; Corporal Frankfurther; and GSgt. Sumpter.  It’s like it happened yesterday.