Wednesday, October 22, 2014

JD Manure Spreader: Purchase

The John Deere manure spreader I saw for sale on the black top was straight out of old farming America.  Its bed measuring 4 ft. wide x 8 ft. long x 2 ft. high resembled that of a horse drawn utility wagon and covered wagon of pioneer days.  The "L" on its aluminum plate (no serial number) means two wheel.  I’d been looking for one to restore and use because nitrogen pellet fertilizer is expensive and this simple spreader is one I could pull with my utility JD tractor.  2014 also saw the pasturing of sufficient cattle numbers to justify the effort.  Adding to the attraction was the fact that it had belonged to my Uncle Henry and his family who had stored it in a chicken coop.  Its condition, except for the tires, was amazing.  The bed is treated wood and minimally rusted iron and steel which was once all John Deere Green.

Last week’s installment of Machinery Pete on rural RFDTV’s cable channel said there’s a revival in interest in used manure spreaders with some going from $14,000 to tops of $20,000 at auction.  I think it must be an apples and oranges situation because I paid only $900 for this one which I think is a mid-1950s John Deere. From there the expenses of restoration began with a $75 tow.  A couple a people were surprised because I had it towed, but it’s better to be safe than sorry even though the tubes were actually in good shape.  Making do and inflating old damaged tires is dangerous.  My cousin got killed at the OK Tire Shop when a tire blew up in his face.

The first thing I did when I got it back to the farm was to have the tow truck put it on level ground outside the shop.  I would need good light and open air since I would be doing a lot of priming and painting.  For the most part the weather held even though there were several days of rain and others that were just too hot for me.  Notice I put the axles on cement blocks and chocked them from moving.  (I’d found an old screw jack in the garage.)  I also drove a T-Post at the tongue and secured it with one of my old USMC belts.  Restoration means going underneath to do the cleaning and figuring out how the thing works.  It also means safety.  One slip and you’re crushed.  Other than that I began the cleanup painstakingly by hand with an ice pick, wire brush, whisk broom, rags, and sand paper.  If you think I knew what I was doing. You’re wrong. What in the world do I do now and how does this thing work?