Monday, October 27, 2014

Image of a Dark Horse: Joni Ernst

In my January 14, 2013 post I called Operation Madame President: 2016, I predicted that the Republican Party would nominate a woman for President of the United States.  Even for the skeptic, the reasons I gave are plausible, the most of which was the Republican leadership’s desire to be more inclusive.   In other words they want to broaden their appeal for more votes.  I can see why.  So far it’s the same-old same-old with them: rich man, fat man, white men, and recently - another prince.  I’ve noticed barrages of trial balloons over the political landscape.  They quickly pop and disappear and the only thing left is that same pantheon of Republican candidates.  The only thing missing is any mention of a female candidate and that’s odd given previous Republican rhetoric.

What’s interested me in the last few weeks is the appearance of someone who has the look – the image - of being America’s first woman President.  I’m not talking about strategic considerations like being from an electoral rich state or having a billion dollar war chest.  Am I the only one who thinks Joni Ernst (who is running for Senator from Iowa) fits the presidential image?  She’s young at 44 and attractive enough to beat out Hillary Clinton any day.  Of course, that’s superficial, but I remember 1960 and how women used to swoon over John Kennedy.  The opposite may be true.

If she survives her Iowa bid, Ernst would bring to the table in 2016 unexpected military credentials coveted by the Right and sought after by the kingmakers of the Left who for decades have been cultivating and positioning their own candidates.  Ernst has them.   She was not only a Lieutenant Colonel in the Ohio Army National Guard, but served in Iraq.  In addition, her military service as an officer means she probably has been screened to the Top Secret level (depending on need-to-know).  It’s bad news for leftists in the Media who would enjoy exposing a Republican version of “Monkey Business.”  For now Joni Ernst has the image and more.  If she’s not destined to be a Dark Horse, it would surprise me.  In any event, I’d venture to say human nature favors attractive people and Hillary ain’t it.