Saturday, July 19, 2014

Ozark Snakes

Rufus lived in the old barn Grandpa built in 1919, more accurately on ground level where the rats and mice are.  I first met him as I was entering one of the smaller doors on the north side that led to the stalls.  Who knew “black snakes” could cling to the walls on eye level about a foot from my head?  Nothing happened because Rufus had a reasonable disposition and I knew black snakes are good for the farm.  I told the roofers not to harm him.  They are part of the animal scene in the Ozarks which is not always benign as Bamby or Thumper.  Dad told me of the story of a black snake discovery he made when he removed a fence post.  Underneath was a cavern fill with balled-up snakes which I presume were Rat Snakes.  (He said the smell was terrible.)  They also congregate in winter in my pump house which is perpetually damp and cool from the well water.

In the late 1950s my brother and I chased a blue racer called an Eastern Yellowbelly Racer.  They can reach 50 inches and are so fast we couldn’t keep up.  All I remember is the sight of the grass moving as he escaped.  They are harmless.  However, about the same time, I may have stepped on a Cottonmouth when I was fishing.  He slid under my tennis shoes in the reeds and grass by the pond. Although Cottonmouths are common in Southern Missouri, I don't recall seeing one.

Copperheads are another story.  I’ve named one of my fields after them.  About ten years ago with the aid of a Conservation Department’s flyer, I determined that the snake I picked up in the field with my pitchfork was indeed a small copperhead.  It’s confusing because when they are young, they aren’t copper color, but tan and brown.  They live mostly in the timber near streams and sometimes venture into the pasture.  Last year when I was mending the fences, a two-footer slithered by me – enough to kill a man, but the Conservation Department says “There is no record of a human death caused by a copperhead bite in this state (Missouri). . . .”    Still, common sense tells me to leave them alone and besides, in my retirement I respect animals  more and don't hunt.

There are Timber Rattlesnakes in Missouri, but I’ve heard scant stories about them from the old folks; they are rare.  Before I forget, there was an article in the local paper a few days ago about a man in Missouri who made the mistake of picking up a fully grown Copperhead.  It didn’t say if he used a pitch fork like I did, but it bit him three times and killed him.  It was 18-20 inches long and Missouri’s Department of Conservation will have to revise its flyer.