Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Graduation & Ft. Hauchuca

My Journal of the Silent Majority has a section on the bad part of Marine Corps boot camp, the scandalous story of Lynn McClure, a private whose death led to a Congressional investigation.  However, in my blog I want to write about the other side of training, but I’m trying to get permission to include photos from my 1975 Platoon 1135 year book.  There is no copyright or publisher listed in it, so I presume the government in one fashion or another created it.  In the meantime to be safe, I’ll wait, but people like blogs with pictures.  I include, however, my “green” military ID which shows me wearing our famous Marine Corps birth control glasses.

As we clustered around him in the barracks, the Platoon Commander read off our new Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) destinations with obligatory parting insults.  Most went on to Camp Pendleton for grunt training.  I remember the Guide went to Ft. Knox to be a tanker.  It was no surprise that the “Demonstrator”, the platoon’s only college graduate, was headed to the U.S. Army Intelligence School and Center at Ft. Hauchuca, Arizona.  After the graduation ceremony on the grinder at MCRD San Diego, we boarded our buses to be shipped out the same day. 

Since it was February, we wore our Class A – winter uniforms and we all carried was our sea bags and what we called a “ditty bag” which I still have.  As the bus pulled out and headed towards Lindberg Field directly across from MCRD, the gates of Hell vanished in the haze.  Inside the terminal were hundreds of servicemen checking in with the airlines’ service counters to confirm their tickets.  I say servicemen because San Diego is a huge navy base and their boot camp bordered ours.  The USO was an oasis and appreciated by all.  I’d never seen one before.  I was also struck by how young these kids were and the realization that I actually graduated with another generation.

I’ll bet the trip to Tucson didn’t take an hour and Arizona was even dryer than California.  Since my orders told me I had to report by the following day, I booked a room at a local motel for the night and fell into a deep sleep.  It was so peaceful – no yelling, no hurry-up, and no punishment.  The DI’s never let the reservists among us forget that we could be called up for active duty and get killed in just a heartbeat.  They cited the Mayaguez Crisis.  In any event the hysterics of the Platoon Commander didn’t faze me after liberation day and I hitched a ride to Ft. Hauchuca the following day.  He was an Army Captain and a West Point graduate.  What an interesting fellow.