Monday, February 10, 2014

Irritating Bergen's Communists

I came out on the west side of the mountains to the North Sea passing crystal clear lakes and deep fiords and arrived in Bergen about the end of the day.  It had been an eight hour trip from Oslo.  When the train pulled into the station I walked outside and found a vending machine where I ate a cold slimy eel - a first for me.  They eat a lot of fish in Bergen and you notice it in more ways than one. Like Norway in general, Bergen is a truly clean and inviting city although somewhat cold and damp.  In 1977 the wharf was beautiful with all the different multicolored boats and store fronts illuminated in bright September sunshine.

Tourist guide books say little about Bergen’s WWII history, but I know some of it.  It’s the port where the German battleship Bismarck left to prey on English shipping until a Swordfish’s torpedo ruined her rudder.  On April 20th, 1944, Hitler’s birthday, a confiscated trawler loaded with tons of ammunition exploded in the Bergen harbor killing 160 people and blowing up much of the harbor area.  The Germans occupied Norway to protect their iron ore shipments that arrived in Narvik from Sweden.


Like I did in Munich five years before, I stumbled onto a communist demonstration held at the Sailor's Monument at the Torgalmenningen, but this was a manly communist demonstration unlike Munich and I told them it was impressive.  The perimeter guard teams accompanied by Dobermans were resplendent in their black leather outfits and black berets – just like our Black Panthers, only white.  The color combinations were right out of a Hollywood movie set.  The hammer and sickle flag was defiantly waving.  Oddly, their flag and banner combination of red with gold lettering was the same as the Marine Corps’.  When I lifted my camera for a picture, the red guards told me that photos were forbidden.  That didn’t make sense.  Why put on a colorful demonstration in a busy intersection with no pictures allowed?  They didn’t appreciate my criticism of the absence of English interpreters for us tourists either.  I know they must have gone back to their university dorms for a self-criticism session on this point.  I could have also talked to these people all day about the failures of Dialectical Materialism and Marxism-Leninism, but in spite of the dogs, I managed to sneak in a picture as I left.