Monday, December 9, 2013

Website/Blog Surpass 10,000 Views

Patience had its reward and about three years ago I started my Journal of the Silent Majority website on GoDaddy.  When I attempted it for the first time the process was too complicated for me, but I was fortunate to have help from an individual smarter than me and that’s what it took.  Someone new to writing books and publishing has to have some help once in a while, but it’s not like the all-encompassing assistance the professionals back east get.  When they write a book, it literally takes a village.  When little people like me write a book without that assistance, it’s monumental.  There will be mistakes, but hopefully they will be minimal.  Since there is no influence of the corporate or institutional variety, my book remains an authentic blood and guts memoir and history of the U.S. since WWII.

Over three years ago I took the advice I’d seen in several books on self-publishing to create my website for pre-publication publicity.  It was like following the wisdom of the old saying: “From an acorn grows the big oak.”  On November 16, 2012 I followed up on Blogger.com to create my blog which has more than 3,000 views and keeps me writing and telling the stories I love to tell.  Sadly, I’ve seen local writers neglect the practice and wither on the vine.  My thanks to Blogger.com for letting me live out my natural inclinations especially on bleak winter days like the past four where the Arctic ice and snow has made everyone in the Ozarks and along the Missouri and Arkansas line hunker down.
 
It’s especially gratifying to go to the sites’ dashboards and retrieve the audience statistics.  Of course, most of my viewers are from the U.S.  In second place come the Germans and the Russians are third.  I hope I do not disappoint them because this American knows a lot about their history and much of it is covered in JSM.  How their histories tie in with ours is crucially important because (Shall I say it again?) history does not occur in a vacuum.  In a time when the big boys in New York won’t even look at a little guy, those statistics which reflect growing interest are like a breath of fresh air to me.
 
For those who have been patient with me I have good news.  The publication time for Journal of the Silent Majority will be 2014.  The galleys came out very well.  For a first time author, I was surprised.  Valley Star Publishing was born and I’ve received my ISBNs.  There is proper funding.  I’ve closely studied several self-publishers and I do not intend to make their mistakes.  Because of that, I’ve developed a strategic plan; one that is more innovative.  There’s a wonderful technological revolution that makes it possible.