Friday, October 11, 2013

Thisted: Sand and Tall Ships

I once again set out on Denmark’s DSB past waterways, small cities and quaint towns with small streets westward to the large inland harbors in North Jutland past Aulum and eventually to Thisted, practically on the North Sea and accessed to it by the Thyboron Channel.  For aficionados of World War I the last all-battleship engagement was fought there off Jutland in 1916 due west of Thisted.  The sea is only 15 miles from the middle of town where I got a room at the Royal Hotel in Thisted’s City Center.  (It was fashionable at the time to string colorful Danish flags across the streets in the heart of small Danish towns.)

Since it was raining and cold, I didn't do much except walk around town which in 1977 was small enough for the most fatigued tourist.  Denmark's towns are small in comparison to the towns in the U.S., but they prove to have more content; I walked about three blocks in a furious wind and rain from the center of town and I found myself out in a pasture looking at some kids playing in a haystack.  Now, Google Maps shows a Thisted that’s busting at the seams compared to what it used to be.  At the time I noticed some of their new housing projects off in the distance that were painted maroon and purple.  In fact, in these climates in September, it seemed colors were sharper and brighter.

I lived in Muskegon Heights, Michigan for many summers in my youth and I could not help noticing its similarities with Thisted: vast expanses of sand dunes, lakes, wooden boats and ships, small harbors, a beautiful marina, and beach facilities which were unfortunately closed because of the lateness of the season.  At the marina, which the Danes call the Thisted Sejlklub, I discovered yet another slot machine right there on the dock.  Three fishermen were mending their nets when I tried to take a picture of them – too slow.  They were shy and turned away.

 A tall sailing ship was anchored among the rocks not far from the marina   I could never identify the ship, but it was spectacular.  The Earl of Pembroke, a tall ship of the Haratio Hornblower, Treasure Island, and Cutthroat Island movies was known to have been anchored at Thisted.  Still, after having some herring and potatoes at a small restaurant and seeing their Bronze Age collection in the town’s museum, I’ll always remember Thisted for being a beautiful, scenery-packed, and un-crowded tourist mecca that Americans haven’t discovered.