Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Alborg and the Rusty Tanker Zeitz


My travels in Denmark were coming to an end with only two or three days to go before crossing over to Sweden on a ferry from Frederikshavn near the northernmost tip of Jutland.  The flatlands of Denmark weary the traveler, but other sights like its islands, inlets, harbors, and ships of all descriptions made the journey easier.  Did I mention of all the farmland I saw, I did not spot one strand of barbed wire?  From Thisted by rail, I had to go south past Viborg to Arhus and turn north on my way to the coast and Frederikshavn.
 
Despite the chill, the clear blue skies of the season made for good 35mm camera shots.  Downtown Alborg was like the best of American shopping malls; clean as a whistle, modern, and more easily traversed because all the shops were on ground level.  I saw Danish servicemen milling about smartly (hands in pockets) looking at the girls who were dressed in the bell-bottom trousers and clogs fashionable in 1977. I also noticed the big Danish bank, the Sparekassen Nordjylland, had a pleasant Neo-Classical Ionic façade instead if the International Style of steel and glass.
 
It was September and the icy water of Limfjorden, the narrow passage from the Baltic to the North Sea, was deep blue when I went for a long walk to the docks.  Alborg has a waterfront downtown and I saw a marvelous old rusting hulk there, the Zeitz, out of Rostock which is a German Baltic seaport.  The motorcar bridge that links the two parts of Jutland is in the background.  From the looks of Limfjorden it appears, besides being a passage, to be a safe haven during storms for smaller ships.  The bigger ships like the tanker Zeitz docked at Alborg to take on cargo or to be repaired at the dry docks.