Friday, July 12, 2013

Back to Frankfurt and Star Trek


I got back to Frankfurt completing my circular European route.  Believe it or not I only spent about $575 for five weeks including air fare, but at the time the exchange rates were certainly in America’s favor.  It was the last time tourists could legitimately be convinced of “Europe at Five Dollars a Day”, a popular incentive and hook for Hippies and millions of other adventurous Baby Boomers in those days.  (For our German friends) June, 1972 prices at the Frankfurt Airport:

·         Hot dog 3.5 DM
·         Sandwich 2.50 DM
·         Boiled egg 1.00 DM
·         Shrimp cocktail 9.50 DM
·         Tea 1.30 DM
·         Pork Chop 10.95 DM
·         Beer 2/2.50/3.00 DM
·         Room at hotel 22 DM
·         Bus trip to airport 2.20 DM


In Frankfurt I stayed at a hotel near the railroad station my last night because I was sick and tired of hostels.  As night approached I couldn’t help noticing the lack of middle aged or older men, but there were plenty of old women who wore only black.  I think my observation was real and that it came from Germany’s massive losses in the war.  (There were still shell holes in the façade of the train station.) Of course, Frankfurt is a G.I. town and there were plenty of “ladies of the night” prowling near my hotel.  One was yelling and screaming at an obvious non-paying customer.  I didn’t see that many prostitutes until my trip to Washington, D.C. in April, 1975.  There were also many darker southern European types in Frankfurt probably to augment the work force preparing for the Olympics.


By this, my last day in Europe, I didn’t go out, but stayed and watched Star Trek in the lobby of the hotel.  It was the second first time I realized that Europeans watch American TV.  The first time was watching it in Edinburg.  Commercials were run at the end of the show.  In fact I always played it safe and I don’t remember ever going out at night.  When traveling alone, your common sense kicks in.  You might recall the backpacker in Scotland who came back with a lighter wallet and darker eye, but it’s usually O.K. if you’re traveling with a friend or around the Japanese who I always found to be gentlemen.


The flight to the United States was in daylight so I saw Amsterdam, Iceland, Greenland, millions of icebergs and the snow blown regions of Hudson's Bay.  Americans are surprised at how green the Atlantic is and the view from thousands of feet in the air.  I’ve said foreign travel is like robbing destiny because people in my position in life aren’t supposed to do it or even think about it.  I know a few people who do it like the old timers who go on cruises or back to Europe on their swan song to recall their youth as G.I.s in WWII.  Some kids of my age were interested in going, but usually found some reason to back out.  I was young and physically able to do what it takes to be a backpacker – lots of walking and putting up with rude people and barracks-type rooms at youth hostels.   Despite the negatives, I did it again in 1977.