Monday, March 24, 2014

The Passion of Dr. James D. Bales

The photo is as accurate as I remember the scene when I used to go to Dr. Bales’ office for communist literature.  Articles on the Internet say he collected over 10,000 books and wrote 70 or more books.  It’s said he was the ghost writer for J. Edgar Hoover’s Masters of Deceit.  I loved it when he’d point out the contradictions of Communism with quotes from The Worker, the Vietnam Courier, or the World Marxist Review. As a graduate of Berkeley – no less – J.D. Bales also debated atheism with Carl Sagan in 1966.  I liked him immediately because he was a fighter.  I also gleaned from the Internet recently many anecdotes I did not know about Dr. Bales.  I did not recall that he was the primary researcher for the National Education Program (NEP) at Harding College and the close associate of George S. Benson, its creator.  I didn’t recall that both formed a formidable national conservative think tank that fought the Left.

Perhaps it was his influence or just the pragmatic necessity to store research material, but over the 40 years since college, I did the same thing with hundreds of books and articles.  With my 4-drawer Sears filing cabinet, it was on a much smaller scale, of course.  I liked biographies the most. They add color, content, and meaning to history.  Perhaps my own collections made my writing of Journal of the Silent Majority inevitable with its 700 plus footnotes. I’m fascinated by history, but the influence that Dr. Bales had on my writing was co-incidental, suggestive or maybe osmotic,and certainly not planned or deliberate; I’d basically forgotten him.

I do remember Dr. Bale’s consuming quest to expose militant atheism, but after college I never thought too much about it because working for a living took up most of my time.  Still, I read and kept up with what was going on in America and it wasn’t pretty: riots, moral decline, attacks on religion and every other institution.  What was the source of these attacks?  I read about the French Revolution and Bolshevik Revolution and found clues.  I followed our 60s radicals like Tom Hayden and Eldridge Cleaver by reading their biographies and a common denominator reared its ugly head – militant atheism, the very thing Dr. Bales had always written about. 


Dr. Bales’ emphasis on the study of militant atheism made a lasting impression on me.  He reaffirmed the role of spirituality and religion in the interpretation of history.  His encyclopedic mind and research techniques validated the scholarship that we history majors were being taught and provided us with a reservoir of facts and arguments supporting our own political views as a part of the Baby Boom Generation and Silent Majority and  . . . who knows where his contagious passion came from?  Maybe it was innate or incomprehensible, but I can only guess it came from the same thrill of discovery that motivated me.