Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Midnight and Overtime

Second shift had its advantages.  There was the ten percent pay differential and things were quieter at night.  Gone were the production and office hordes that made the plant a bee hive during the day.  Once in a while you could see a machine operator finishing off a production run under the soft glow of fluorescent lights.  The rest of the massive concrete and pillared areas would be in total blackout.  The only visitor was a watchman named Gates who, in those days, carried one of those big round clocks encased in leather.

In front of the swinging doors that formed the boundary between manufacturing and the office areas were the long darkened corridors that led to the massive modular furniture expanses that formed the corporate departments.  I’m glad I didn’t have to work in them; so many people during the day.  Once in a while someone would stay late like the lady in Purchasing who used to tell me management would never promote her because she was a woman.  Incidentally, several years later they did promote her to the head of Purchasing.

I always looked at my predicament as a bitter pill.  So what if I was just out of college and all I could find was a job pushing a broom?  I did what it took to make a living and always took advantage of any opportunity including overtime and that’s what I was doing after midnight.  Our crew of volunteers was usually called up for emergency clean ups, shoveling late night snow or moving furniture.What drew me to volunteering was the princely sum of $13.00 per hour even though I’d usually get home at O Dark Thirty (3 AM.)  Plus, in the early 1970s you could buy more for your dollar.  My studio apartment on the Plaza was only $85 a month and gas was 23 cents a gallon at the Hudson station at 38th and Main in Kansas City.

What’s there for young people now?  Inflation has severely eroded the dollar.  Overtime is mostly a thing of the past.  They’re now lucky to get 40 hours a week in order to qualify for benefits – healthcare mainly.  Profit sharing is so antiquated that I believe most college graduates entering the work force don’t know what it is, but I hope they know what “A penny saved is a penny earned.” means.  In a difficult situation you adapt, persevere, and overcome.  You look for a way out and earn money by saving money and not going into debt.  You lower your expectations and limit your vices.  Above all, you invest in the things that count like a house.  My overtime allowed me to have one built.  When the maintenance men who threw away their money on turkey hunts, Jack Daniels, boats, and snow mobiles learned about it, they became visibly upset.